Category Archives: Photography
Discovered this park in the centre of Calgary and will share a few photos. A beautiful walk in an area surrounded by a million people.
Weekly Photo Challenge: Selfie
This week’s challenge is to post an image of a selfie. I have used this one before, but I really like this photo. We were on a 7 hour road trip from Calgary to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. What adds to the photo is my son’s dog. He spends a lot of his time on trips like this, doing exactly what he is doing. Paws on the dashboard watching the road unwind.
A while back I posted this picture in a Weekly Photo Challenge.
A fellow blogger, who I just made acquaintance with, Jots from a Small Apt. has asked for more. Being the accommodating sort, I am more than happy to oblige. By the way, Jots runs a fine establishment and is worth a visit or 200 or so. There is background to this upcoming cuteness though.
The date, December 29th. Lori and I had just pent a pleasant night in Banff, Alberta. We were checking out of our hotel, intending to spend the day skiing at Sunshine Village, a great hill, apparently, as I have never made it there. We had just finished and Lori’s phone rang. It was our son, the owner of Vader, calling to tell us that Vader had gotten away from him, the gate was open. That ended the skiing, before it started, and we headed home. The next 90 minutes were a blur as we raced back to Calgary to hep find the missing. We searched and searched, but had the foresight to report him to the city as missing. After 5 hours of looking, we got a call, he was at animal services, and had been pretty much since he had gone missing. We knew he was not the type to take off, and apparently had gotten out and went to the wrong door to get let in, maybe 2 doors down in a townhouse condo. The people opened the door and took him to animal services. Terrible day. So now the more part. Vader’s mug shot.
Weekly Photo Challenge: Family
This week we have been given the topic of family. To me family is a far-reaching intangible. I have my natural family, my in-law family, my work family, my far-flung friend family, among others. Makes it very hard to choose a photo to post here. To decide, I played some eenie meenie miney mo game and came up with this one. We are bereft of grand children at this time, but, while we wait, we have a grand dog, our son’s King Charles cross. Prepare to be cuted out of your socks.
I took this shot many years ago (1991?) and is taken looking down into the canyon from the decking that goes through and around the site. Very impressive place, but only one of many in the park. On a personal level, Jasper is Banff without the crowds. In comparison, it is far more natural and focused on preservation. There is a great ski hill (Marmot Basin), and the standard resort amenities, but has unique charm that I enjoy when we visit.
Weekly Photo Challenge: Grand
On a recent rip to the Canary Islands, we took a tour of the island of Lanzarote. The island is about 80 miles off the coast of Africa and is an autonomous province of Spain. The island has been inhabited by Europeans since the 14th century. It was devastated by a volcanic eruption in 1730, which lasted until 1736. Most of the island was covered by lava and ash, creating this landscape. A very interesting tour.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Grand (travelicius.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Grand (joyandwoe.ca)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Grand (dailypost.wordpress.com)
Today I try the newest challenge from WordPress. The Weekly Photo Challenge : From Lines To Pattern. I took this photo at St Pancras Station in London, UK. This is where the Eurostar arrives and departs in London. A great mixture of old and new. It is also the station that Harry Potter uses to go to Hogwarts.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: From Lines to Patterns (natalyarolbin.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – From Lines to Patterns (pattisjarrett.wordpress.com)
- Weekly photo challenge: from lines to patterns (parislux.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge ( From Lines To Patterns) (rabbitandratgirl.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: From Lines to Patterns (longwalksanddarkchocolate.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: From Lines to Patterns (notsosupermodel.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: From Lines to Patterns (huntprayerpoems.wordpress.com)
Unfortunately, I wasn’t on this day trip (had to work), but Lori was, along with her brothers and Cec. They caught Mama Bear and Baby Bear on the side of the road at Waterton Lake National Park. Nice shot.
This week’s challenge – Weekly Photo Challenge: An Unusual POV. I chose this photo taken from a canal boat in Amsterdam. The city has about 1200 bridges, most similar to these. This makes for some stunning views as you traverse these routes, especially where they join, as in this shot.
- Weekly Photo Challenge: An Unusual POV (memorycatcher.me)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Unusual POV (booksinthekitchen.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Unusual POV (Ways to focus on 100 meters) (chrisbreebaart.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: An Unusual POV (blessingsthruraindrops.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: An Unusual POV (theonlydeadheadinthehameau.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: An Unusual POV #1 (fromgroundtohome.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge/An unusual POV: Grand Mosque of Paris (ibnbattutatrail.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Unusual POV (shabnamphoto.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: An Unusual POV #3 (fromgroundtohome.wordpress.com)
- WB Yeats in Sligo, Ireland | Weekly Photo Challenge: An Unusual POV (ireland-ms.com)